Soup was made for Sundays. You can start a pot in the morning and keep it warm to enjoy throughout the day, or just warm it up later for an evening meal. Today the #SundaySupper group of bloggers will share their favorite soup recipes to help chase away the winter chills.
I decided to make Chicken Cheese Soup, even though it contains an ingredient that I usually avoid using in dishes...Velveeta. Okay, I know I’m a bit of a food snob about some things. I buy expensive coffee and will only use real maple syrup that is made from the sap of a sugar maple tree. I make cakes from scratch instead of mixes and I make my own spaghetti sauce. Yep, I’m picky about the ingredients I use.
Is Velveeta really cheese? To be honest, I don’t know why I feel this way about it since I ate it a lot when I was a child. My mom had a Tupperware container that held the two-pound block size and my dad and I were notorious for sneaking into the fridge and cutting off a hunk for a snack. Mom called us her resident mice.
Plus, there is no arguing with results. Everyone loves this soup! I got the recipe from Mom in 1994. My stepkids from my first marriage begged for this soup while they were growing up and still make it today for their own families. Their friends even ask for the recipe!
Plus, this soup passed the most important test: The Picky Eater liked it! When he tasted it, his blue eyes lit up and he said, “It’s good!”
So bring on the Velveeta! I thought about trying a different cheese, but why tamper with success!
Chicken Cheese Soup
4 to 6 boneless chicken breasts12 cups combination low-sodium chicken broth, cooking broth, and water
1 cup taco sauce (not salsa!)
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
2 stocks celery, chopped
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1 cup long-grain rice
1 pound Velveeta, cut into cubes
Salt and pepper, to taste
Place chicken into a soup pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside to cool. Measure the cooking broth and add low-sodium chicken broth and/or water to make 12 cups.
Bring the broth to a boil. Add the taco sauce, onion, carrots, celery, and bouillon cubes. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the rice, turn the temperature to a simmer, and cook until the rice is soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
As the rice cooks, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. When the rice is soft, add the chicken to the pot, and then add the Velveeta to the soup, cube by cube, stirring until the cheese melts. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
The Sunday Supper group promotes getting the family around the dinner table at least once a week. Here’s a list of everyone’s soup creations for today:
Do The Poultry Dance (poultry soups)
- Chicken Tortellini & White Bean Soup at Flour On My Face
- Chicken Gnocchi at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Chicken Cheese Soup by There and Back Again
- Chicken Tortellini Soup by Country Girl In The Village
- Chicken Soup with Leeks, Onions and Fennel by Shockingly Delicious
- Family Style Tablescape featuring Chicken Tortilla Soup by An Appealing Plan
- Yucatan Chicken Lime Soup (Sopa de Lima) by The Weekend Gourmet
- Chicken Meatball, Spinach and Orzo Soup from Gourmet Drizzles
- Ground Turkey and Vegetable Soup at The Messy Baker
- Cheesy Chipotle Chicken Sausage Chowder by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Chick-Fil-A Chicken Noodle Soup by Family Foodie
- Chicken Vegetable Noodle Soup at Cupcakes and Pearls
- Healthy Bean and Sausage Soup by Momma’s Meals
- Smoked Sausage and Wild Rice Soup at Mama, Mommy, Mom
Where’s The Beef (Beef Soups)
- Chili with Black Beans by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Vegetable and Beef Soup by Supper For a Steal
- Swabian Beef Spaetzle +1 Soup (Gaisburger Marsch) at Galactosemia in PDX
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Beef Pho Soup by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Frijol con Carne by MarocMama
- Pho Bo (Vietnamese Beef and Noodle Soup) by Neighborfood
Pass The Pork. Please (Pork or Sausage Soups)
- Louisiana Caldo by Catholic Foodie
- Sweet potato and Spanish chorizo soup at My Cute Bride
- Soft Tofu Soup (Soondubu Jjigae) by Hip Foodie Mom
Under The Sea (Seafood Soups)
- Shrimp Miso Noodle Soup at Pescetarian Journal
- Szechuan Fish Soup by The Urban Mrs.
- New England Clam Chowder at Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Hearty Okra Shrimp Gumbo Laced with Coconut Oil by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Bacon and Shrimp Bisque at Big Bear’s Wife
- Lobster Bisque by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chinese Fish Maw Soup by My Trials in The Kitchen
- Thai Curry Coconut Mussel Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
Eat Your Veggies (Chock Full o’ Vegetables Soups)
- Not-So-Mini-Strone at The Foodie Army Wife
- French Onion Soup by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Spicy Sweet Potato and Corn Soup at Magnolia Days
- Creamy Cheddar Potato Soup at Daily Dish Recipes
- Rather French Onion Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup by Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Cream of Ancho Chile Soup from La Cocina de Leslie
- Pasta e Fagoli Soup at Cravings of a Lunatic
- Miso Soup by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Vegetable Consommé with Semolina Dumplings – Grießknödel at Masala Herb
- Vegetable Medley Soup with Broccoli and Leeks at Chattering Kitchen
- Smoky Kale and Tomato Soup with Garlic Croutons by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Coconut Corn Chowder at Mangoes and Chutney
- Make Your Own (Gluten Free) Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup at The Meltaways
- Ital Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup at The Lovely Pantry
- Chunky Vegetable and Barley Soup at Curious Cuisiniere
- Corn Soup with Crispy Tortilla Strips at Ninja Baking
- Jalapeno Beer Cheese Soup by The Hand That Rocks The Ladle
- Wild Mushroom Soup at Food Lust People Love
- Creamy Carrot Soup at Cookistry
- Vermicelli Soup by Damn Delicious
- Country Split Pea Soup with Bacon and Potatoes at girlichef
Some Don’t Like It Hot (Chilled Soups)
- Chilled Strawberry Soup at Juanita’s Cocina
- Bread and Tomato Soup – Gazpacho Style at Vintage Kitchen Notes
Be sure to join in on the #SundaySupper chat on Twitter today at . Follow the #SundaySupper hash tag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
Don’t forget to check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.